At the Redmi K50 launch event, Redmi also introduced the Redmi K40S as the successor to last year’s Redmi K40. It retains the 6.67″ FHD+ 120Hz E4 AMOLED display and the Snapdragon 870 SoC, but this comes with an upgraded cooling system offers a vapor chamber area as high as 3112mm², and the liquid-cooled heat dissipation area has been increased by 400% compared with Redmi K40, says the company.
It has the same 48MP IMX582 sensor for the main camera, but this adds OIS. The weight has been reduced by 1g and thickness by 0.1mm, says the company. It also brings 67W fast charging compared to 33W charging in the K40, so that it can charge the 4500mAh up to 100% in 38 minutes.
Redmi K40S specifications
- 6.67-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 20:9 HDR10 + display with MEMC, 120Hz refresh rate, 1300nit (HBM) / 900nit (Typ) brightness, 5,000,000:1 (Min) contrast ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 3.2GHz + 3 x 2.42GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 870 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 6GB / 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB (UFS 3.1) / 8GB + 12GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 13 based on Android 12
- 48MP rear camera with 1/2″ Sony IMX582 sensor, f/1.79 aperture, OIS, LED flash, 8MP 119° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 20MP front-facing camera with 0.8μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Dual speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 163.2x 75.95 x 7.7mm; Weight: 195g
- 5G SA/NSA,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1 + L5), USB Type-C
- 4500mAh (Typical) battery with 67W fast charging
Pricing and Availability
The Redmi K40S comes in four colours including Black, Silver, Iridescent, and Green and in four storage variants – 6GB+128GB at 1799 yuan (US$ 283 / Rs. 21,530 approx.), 8GB+128GB at 1999 yuan (US$ 314 / Rs. 23,925 approx.), 8GB+256GB at 2199 yuan (US$ 346 / Rs. 26,320 approx.) and the 12GB+256GB priced at 2399 yuan (US$ 377 / Rs. 28,715 approx.). It is already available in China.