Google held a “Made by Google ’22” launch event where it debuted the Pixel Watch, its first smartwatch, as it had promised. It is positioned as the premium smartwatch and runs Wear OS 3.5. It offers 4G LTE connectivity, an Emergency SOS feature, and more. Google has made deeper integrations with Fitbit for the Pixel Watch to give leading health and fitness capabilities.
The Pixel Watch features a circular 3D domed glass that smoothly merges into the stainless-steel body, giving it a sleek appearance on the wrist. It is scratch-resistant and water-resistant (up to 5 ATM/50 metres).
There’s a side button above the crown that shows the recently used apps. It has a unique band-attaching mechanism that makes changing bands simple. On the front, there’s an AMOLED display with 1000 nits of peak brightness that’s protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
The Pixel Watch is intended to deliver accurate heart rate measurement, continuously tracking it at once per second, due to on-device machine learning and processor-level deep optimization. The watch has 40 different exercise modes.
It includes GPS support and an ECG app for detecting indicators of atrial fibrillation (AFib), understanding your sleep with Sleep Score and Sleep Stages, and receiving recommendations. The Pixel Watch is also compatible with Fitbit’s app, which allows you to view crucial indicators such as your breathing rate, heart rate variability, and more on the Health Metrics Dashboard.
The smartwatch has 32GB of internal storage and comes with 3-month free YouTube Premium subscription. It also has a Google Assistant built in, and you can control your smart home devices via the Google Home app or simply saying “Hey, Google” to your watch.
Google Pixel Watch Specifications:
- 1.6″ 320 ppi AMOLED screen, up to 1000 nits peak brightness, Always-on display, Custom 3D Corning Gorilla Glass 5, 19 customizable watch faces
- Exynos 9110 SoC, Cortex M33 co-processor
- WearOS 3.5
- 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC storage
- 5ATM (up to 50 meters) Water-resistant
Optical heart rate sensor, Compass, Altimeter, Blood oxygen sensor, Multipurpose electrical sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Ambient light sensor
ECG app with Afib detection, Sleep stages and Sleep Score, Sleep mode
Fall detection (coming this winter)
- Built-in microphone and speaker for Bluetooth and LTE calling
- Side button and haptic crown for functionality
- Call, text, and app notifications, Google Assistant, Google Wallet, Google Maps, Gmail and Calendar notifications, YouTube Music, Google Play
- 4G LTE (optional), Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz, GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, NFC
41 mm x 12.3 mm; Weight: 36g (without strap)
- 294mAh battery with up to 24 hours backup, fast charge – 30 minutes to 50%, 55 minutes to 80%, 80 minutes to 100%
Pricing and availability
The Google Pixel Watch comes in Champagne Gold case with Hazel Active band, Matte Black case with Obsidian Active band, Polished Silver case with Charcoal Active band and Chalk Active band options. The company offer 20 different bands that include leather, metal mesh and link options.
The Pixel Watch is priced at $349.99 (Rs. 28,750 approx.) for the Bluetooth version and $399.99 (Rs. 32,870 approx.) for the LTE version in the US, is available to pre-order and will be available from October 13th. It will also be available in Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Ireland, Japan, Taiwan and United Kingdom. No details about the India launch yet.